Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Durack: 'A dream come true'

26-year-old Lucy Durack says securing the role of Glinda in Wicked is a "dream come true" and has revealed she kept the news secret for some six weeks due to a privacy agreement with the show's producers.

Speaking to AussieTheatre.com from New York, where she and co-star Amanda Harrison have seen the Broadway version of Wicked twice in as many days, Durack said she found out she had won the role on December 17."Keeping it secret has been one of the hardest things I have ever had to do," she said."Words cannot describe how excited I am by this whole thing. I feel so lucky being given this opportunity, it is something I have wanted to do for so long and I am so very grateful."

Durack, who has appeared in a number of musicals including Mamma Mia! and Respect, has previously starred with Harrison in a production of Oklahoma! presented by Melbourne's Production Company.

"That was a few years ago but I still have my notebook from that show and in the front it says 'Lucy Durack and Amanda Harrison for Glinda and Elphaba'. I guess we can tick that box now."

Durack was always considered a favourite to secure the role of Glinda, though there was constant speculation that Helen Dallimore, who played the role in London, could return home to reprise it in Melbourne.

Durack said she is looking forward to starting rehearsals in May.

Aussietheatre.com

No comments: